Re: I was wondering....

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: I was wondering....
Can be done? Sure. Should be done? Maybe...

I've used ssd's since they've been around, super speed boost for any
desktop really, but I'd run them typically in raid1, and for the first few
years they'd reliably die, one disk or another around the 6mo mark. I
didn't do trim, as it defeats luks encryption, and often simply doesn't
work otherwise with various filesystem layers (mdraid, luks, zfs, etc), and
well yeah, they all died horrible deaths. Not since Samsung introduced
wear-leveling in their SSD architectures did the problem mostly go away,
and I've begun to use Samsung SSD/M.2 (even sd cards) exclusively for this,
and have not lost a disk since.

Not sure how commonly this is used in other vendors, but something if ever
doing raid or other enterprise-y functions, something to look for.

-mb

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 10:23 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <