Re: localhost

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: localhost
Are you running a local web server on port tcp/80/443, otherwise why
connection to localhost? You need a server like apache, nginx, or whatever
web server listening on 80/443 for a browser to find a webpage on
localhost, which is your system. Otherwise the browser won't find a socket
to connect to let alone a web page, which is what it's telling you.

## this will show you anything listening locally on http|https ports and
what app did it
sudo ss -tpl | grep http

## try to connect if you think you should see an open socket from above,
below fails
[~]# telnet 127.0.0.1 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...

No active firewall right?

If you wanted to you can limit host access to bind external sockets like
80/443, or whatever to only 127.0.0.0/8 meaning only local processes can
access sockets, not even someone on your local lan. This is a security
practice in application cases for high-speed caching or inter-process
communications local to this system only.

-mb

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 12:24 PM Michael via PLUG-discuss <