Re: localhost

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael
Subject: Re: localhost
the browser shows the error as:
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network
connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make
sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I need to specify a port. Cool. That's all I needed to know.

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 3:05 PM James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Regarding the original question of why the browser is saying "problem with
> address", what is the actual error? Name resolution, connection, cert, etc
> etc? Those friendly human readable errors leave too much open to
> interpretation.
>
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Snyder, Alexander J via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>

>> The IP address range *127.0.* *0.0 – 127.255.* *255.255* is reserved for
>> loopback, i.e. a Host's self-address, also known as localhost address. This
>> loopback IP address is managed entirely by and within the operating system.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alexander.
>>
>> Sent from my Samsung S20+ 5G
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 11:58 greg zegan via PLUG-discuss <
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> localhost <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost>
>>>
>>> localhost
>>>
>>> The local loopback mechanism may be used to run a network service on a
>>> host without requiring a physical network...
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost>
>>>

>>> you need to specify the port number
>>>

>>> On Saturday, October 9, 2021, 02:29:07 PM EDT, Michael via PLUG-discuss <
>>>

>>> Are the addresses for localhost 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.1.1 ? That was a
>>> rhetorical question. What isn't rhetorical is why, when I enter either of
>>> those addresses into a browser , do I get a 'problem with address' page?
>>> Are there
>>> --
>

> --
> James McPhee