Re: using a thumb drive as a partition.

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: using a thumb drive as a partition.
Flash media by nature still has a limit to the number of writes they can
make. but wear leveling is pretty smart nowadays. and if you underprovision
your drive by say 5-10% (IE leave it raw space without a file system) you
can increase this. Most are designed with this concept in mind so it is
more about a level of personal paranoia or preference.

i still find their write performance leaves something to be desired so i
would test it out and see if it meets your needs.

Many servers have a dedicated internal port for a thumb drive to serve as
the host OS drive. OS's tuned for this frequently only write for updates
and push all caching operations off to spinning rust or an SSD. in these
use cases the drives will last for 10 years or more because read operations
to not reduce the device operation.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Michael via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Have they fixed the number of writes a drive cN TAKE? OR ELSE HOW MANY
> WRITES CAN an sd card take. I want to use it for LFS
>
> --

Stephen