Re: using a thumb drive as a partition.

+ (text/html)
Author: Snyder, Alexander J via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Snyder, Alexander J
Subject: Re: using a thumb drive as a partition.
Flash memory indeed has limited write cycles. However, by now it is
unlikely that you'll encounter this within the normal lifetime of such a
card. Usually, this is in the order of 100,000 write cycles today and SD
cards include circuitry to manage wear-leveling, that is, spread out writes
over the storage media evenly to avoid "hot spots"—pages that are written
too frequently and therefore failing early.

Information stored on the card is safe even in magnetic fields because the
information is not stored magnetically (contrary to hard drives or floppy
disks).

As for storage conditions ... you shouldn't store them in mud, water, lava,
or other harmful conditions. You probably also shouldn't put them on
railways and let trains drive over them. Apart from that, not paying
particular attention to where I store my cards I haven't had any adverse
effects so far. In practice, I'd think whatever doesn't physically damage
the card won't harm the data on it.

https://superuser.com/questions/17350/whats-the-life-expectancy-of-an-sd-card#answer-17377

--
Thanks,
Alex.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Michael via PLUG-discuss <