Re: disable full screen apps in KDE

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: disable full screen apps in KDE
Am 08. Jun, 2021 schwätzte Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss so:

> On 2021-06-08 13:34, der.hans via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> is there an easyish way to totally disable apps from going full screen in
>> KDE?
>>
>> I do want to be able to ocassionally re-enable full screen for an app, but
>> am fine if I first have to acknowledge that it's a horrible idea and I
>> deserve the repercussions :)
>
> Why? This seems like a strange thing to want.

Because I have a visceral negative reaction when apps unwantedly go full
screen. Aside from messing with my workflow it really, really annoys me.

> I don't think you can do this easily. I tried going into System Settings ->
> Window Management -> Window Rules and setting the maximum size of a gwenview
> window to 1024x768. This made it so that the gwenview windows all snapped to
> that size, and it was not possible to make them larger using normal window
> manager operations. However, the "Full Screen" button still made a gwenview
> window take over the whole screen.
>
> This is probably controlled by the KToggleFullScreenAction code, which gets
> kind of low-level in that it calls QT functions you're not supposed to call
> directly from KDE. Fiddling with this part of KWidgetsAddons without
> recompiling everything is probably a non-starter.

Yeah, probably difficult, but it shouldn't be. I will keep searching for
my own version of nerdvana.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling