Re: disable full screen apps in KDE

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: disable full screen apps in KDE
On 2021-06-08 13:34, der.hans via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> is there an easyish way to totally disable apps from going full screen
> in
> KDE?
>
> I do want to be able to ocassionally re-enable full screen for an app,
> but
> am fine if I first have to acknowledge that it's a horrible idea and I
> deserve the repercussions :)

Why? This seems like a strange thing to want.

I don't think you can do this easily. I tried going into System
Settings -> Window Management -> Window Rules and setting the maximum
size of a gwenview window to 1024x768. This made it so that the
gwenview windows all snapped to that size, and it was not possible to
make them larger using normal window manager operations. However, the
"Full Screen" button still made a gwenview window take over the whole
screen.

This is probably controlled by the KToggleFullScreenAction code, which
gets kind of low-level in that it calls QT functions you're not supposed
to call directly from KDE. Fiddling with this part of KWidgetsAddons
without recompiling everything is probably a non-starter.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity