Re: swap file vs swap partition

+ (text/html)
Author: Bob Elzer via PLUG-discuss
To: Seabass, Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Bob Elzer
Subject: Re: swap file vs swap partition
The biggest difference is, files can become fragmented while partitions
don't. On a hard drive this can make a big difference. On an SSD I would
tend not to use a swap partition or file. If you use a swap partition on an
SSD it would confine the writes to a smaller area of the disk and wear it
out faster. So a file would work much better because it has the whole disk
to even out the writes. But you do a lot of swapping that also puts more
wear onto the SSD. So I would tend to put my swap on a hard drive.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 8:57 AM Seabass via PLUG-discuss <