Re: swap file vs swap partition

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: swap file vs swap partition
On 2020-10-28 08:47, Seabass via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I tend to prefer swapfiles. Doesn't require a partition, so it
> can be resized easily and won't require you to know the
> partition number. (Opinion: fewer partitions is just easier)

Since all disks are SCSI-analogues now, having more than 15 partitions
on a disk may get wonky. The minor device# expansion should've made
this possible, but you never know. (Counterpoint: My phone has over 20
partitions on it, probably because someone at Samsung was smoking the
really good drugs.)

> I don't actually know a reason to make swap a partition over a
> swapfile.

Swap files have to go through the filesystem. This means more overhead
than a partition. This overhead should not be noticeable on an ordinary
x86 system from the last 15ish years unless you're doing something
seriously crazy.

> I don't use hibernate so don't really need a swap either.

Suspend-to-disk can use swap files. You just have to follow the
directions in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/swsusp-and-swap-files.rst .

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity