Linux Learning Resources

+ (text/html)
Author: AZ Pete via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG Discuss
CC: AZ Pete
Subject: Linux Learning Resources
Hi All,

After about a 10 year hiatus away from Linux I'm getting back into it for daily use. I've been playing around with Ubuntu (and Zorrin). When I was using Linux all those years ago it was mainly as command line against a remote server (no desktop). But, now I want to learn more about using Linux from a desktop user perspective for daily use.  I'm looking for how to do stuff as a Linux user not so much administering the machine (although I understand there's some cross over).  My main goal is to learn how to do tasks on the Linux desktop that I currently do on Windows as a user and a developer (I'm a SQL Server DBA).

Googling for "How to do X in Linux" returns so many hits it's overwhelming (and time consuming). So, I thought I'd ask the group to get the good stuff directly. :)

What recommendations can the group provide as far as learning resources? Websites, newsletters, blogs, daily usage tips, etc?
Where do you guys go for this type of information?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter