Re: raid5

Author: Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Brian Cluff
Subject: Re: raid5
Yes, you'll be looking at doing a software raid.

Just curious, what are you needing to get out of a RAID that makes you
want to do it?  More space, more speed, or redundancy?

You can get certain combinations of all 3 of those but it depends on
which raid you pick and what settings it has.
Of course RAID can also be a really good way to instantly destroy all
your data if you don't do it right.

If you are just looking for some safely for your data, I would recommend
that you start with a RAID 1.  You won't get any extra space out of it,
but it's a fairly bullet proof RAID option that allows for any of your
drives to be mounted individually, so its very difficult to loose your
data without all your drives dying at once.  You also get a little bit
of a speed boost under certain circumstances.

Brian Cluff