Re: Can you remove the root user from sudoers file on CentOS…

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Can you remove the root user from sudoers file on CentOS?
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:02:41 -0700
Phil Waclawski <> wrote:

> So, I see the recent major bug with sudo, and on centos (unlike ubuntu
> flavors) I never use it.
>
> Is there a problem with just commenting out the
>
> root ALL = ALL(ALL)    in the sudoers file?

That's the first thing I delete. It's dangerous.

I'll say this: Be sure there's a root account before deleting it, and
if not, create one and remember the password.

I really don't want any person on any computer getting root privileges
for any program. That's Ubuntu garbage.

By the way, if you ever get locked out on lack of the password for the
root account, insert a System Rescue CD disc, mount the computer's root
partition, go in and remove the x out of root's line in /etc/passwd.
Remove the disc, reboot, and you needn't type in a password for root.
Obbviously, immediately set a password for root.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key