Re: Can you remove the root user from sudoers file on CentOS…

+ (text/html)
Author: Kevin Fries
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Can you remove the root user from sudoers file on CentOS?
su and sudo are two different things.

Also, root is simply a moniker for userid 0 by convention.

With SU, to gain elevated privs, you need the root password.  And with that password, you have all the keys to the kingdom.

SUDO, on the other hand allows granular elevation.   So, you can have root access to add users, but not start services, or to start and stop services, but not view logs.

Also, if you go into /etc/passed, and rename account 0 (zero), from root to thegrandguru, su and sudo will elevate your privs, from the user to that of thegrandguru.  If you create an accout called root, with a userid of 1005, root will be just a common user, but thegrandguru is what you generally think of as root.

Realize that all this is about getting your privs to that of userid=0

Kevin Fries

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​