Re: WiFi extension question

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: WiFi extension question
Wireless is fairly strict, it's usually one client to one wireless
association, even if using a client ethernet bridge inline - they usually
only expect one mac address to pass (not if you have a client wifi bridge
with 5 devices behind it). This is at least in the enterprise-world ala
Cisco or Aruba.

I've not used one of these consume "wifi repeaters", but what I presume
they're doing is some sort of either network address translation, or some
mac address rewriting to make work, so all traffic looks like one host, or
in essence another router. Not much different from your cell phone doing
tethering over cell (unless you use apple crap, ugh).

What I'd say to do is look for one of these repeaters, or client bridges,
put it as close to the signal as possible, output the ethernet jack to the
WAN side of a consumer router/firewall, and wire the LAN ports back to
whatever you have there, or use it's wireless to send your own SSID off the
router wifi for your clients indoors. If a repeater can't pick up the
signal, get one with an external antenna receptical, I'm sure someone makes
one, and get the cantenna as mentioned to point at your neighbor's signal.

[neighbor wifi] -- [your wifi repeater] -- [router wan port] --
[wired/wireless clients] -- win!

The router will look like a normal single mac/client to the bridge, which
should be good enough to pass over it to the neighbor wifi. This will
need to NAT traffic properly to do so, but most routers/firewalls do this
anyways.

I've never had to get very creative to hijack others' wifi to get others on
with more than one client, without just breaking in with a single client
and plundering that way, but in theory this should be sound, as long as the
upstream wifi sees a 1:1 relation between client, mac-address, and traffic.

-mb