Re: Ubutu cox and Thunderbird?

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubutu cox and Thunderbird?
On 2019-10-14 10:55, mike enriquez wrote:
> I have a fresh install of Ubuntu and Thunderbird email client. The
> SMTP server keeps timing out. Cox cannot help me because I have a
> Linux computer. I changed the Port numbers and still I cannot send
> email out.

Did you read
https://www.cox.com/residential/support/changing-your-email-server-settings-for-mozilla-thunderbird.html
and follow the instructions there? It looks like you need to use 465
as the TCP port and smtp.cox.net as the server, and to have it set to
use SSL/TLS. You didn't say anything about incoming mail, but that's
port 993 and (probably) imap.cox.net .

Also, using an ISP mail account as your main mail account is fraught
with peril. What happens when you move to another place that has a
different ISP? I run my own mail sewer, but I know not everyone can do
that. Google are evil, but gmail is reliable and costs $0.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity