Re: boot from cd, point to thumb drive

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: boot from cd, point to thumb drive
So that is unusual. I used to work for an OEM white box vendor and we used
this board in a few builds. we booted to USB frequently. One of my roles at
the time I was there was to vet machines for Linux compatibility.

The irony was that this board did just that with very minimal issue. I have
found in the past some Sandisk USB devices do not play nicely with booting
Linux OS's.

Also, check your USB drive size, If it is a 16G or larger the bios may not
play nice.

As for viable software to write the drive, I have had the best success with
using Rufus for Windows-based install drives. I use etcher for Linux based
install media.

Note, My most successful USB installer drive is a USB 2.0 Verbatim Store N
Go.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jim <> wrote:

> I've got a computer with a Gigabyte P35-DS4L revision 1 motherboard in
> it. The boot options include USB hard drives, but it won't boot from a
> USB thumb drive. It will boot from an optical disc. Can someone tell
> me how to make a boot CD that would then point to a USB thumb drive? I
> don't want to have to go back to burning dozens of boot discs.
>
> I looked online and found many references to Gigabyte boards not booting
> from USB. I found many people who had the same problem, and some
> solutions for revision 2 of this board, but none for revision 1.
>
> thanks

Stephen