Re: boot from cd, point to thumb drive

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: boot from cd, point to thumb drive
I'm not sure I've ever gotten a linux distro to boot and install properly
from a usb stick using various usb boot install creation tools like
unetbootin or ubuntu's. There is a reason I keep a 15 year old purchased
stack of DVD-R's around and a 10 year old asus usb cdrom. I'm not sure if
anyone's really fixed the automagical tools, and I've tired from wasting my
time trying. Every few years I need to cold boot a system like that, I
just burn a cd, use one, and then make a beer coaster of it, assuredly
polluting the land/oceans at some point.

It's always been a sorely disappointing experience for me at least.
There's not a lot in theory you can screwup, so not sure what the heck I'm
doing that I'm the only one it doesn't work for, but they simply never work
as built, and I've troubleshot to find it's not just me. Arch's bootloader
wouldn't work unless the setup tool set the right disk label on the usb
drive, which it didn't/couldn't. Ubuntu just never worked at all, but
probably more ubuntu installer was atrocious last time I tried it too.

Same reason I kept a usb floppy around for most of the 2000's... CD/Floppy
was the only thing reliable to boot any system.

-mb