Re: VPN on virtual machine

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: VPN on virtual machine
Hi Jim
I recommend the network bridge so all traffic will go direct to the NIC
with it's own IP, but I openVPN quite often using both bridge and NAT I use
nat when not at home and have to to use a single wifi on the host
the only difference is in nat the host will provide a internal ip which is
nice for internal routing if needed.
do you have any vpn logs?
also Lubuntu does not use Gnome network manager I will email if I find the
correct tool we just did one at the installfest last month sudo apt-get
install network-manager-openvpn-gnome will fail due to wrong network
manager gui.
also test it from the cli it should work there either way Todd

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:57 PM Jim <> wrote:

> I decided to try a virtual machine for bittorrent. The host machine
> runs kubuntu 14.04 with 4GB RAM. I've installed virtualbox 5.2.18. The
> virtual machine is running lubuntu 18 and has 1GB RAM. The problem is
> with the vpn. I can't get openvpn or pptp to work. I configured them
> using the same instructions I did on the host machine. When I try to
> start a VPN connction(openvpn or pptp) on the guest machine, the icon
> appears to show it's trying to connect, then it just stops without
> offering any error message. In Virtualbox's settings for the guest
> machine under network, I chose attached to NAT.
>
> Any ideas what I should do different?
>
> thanks

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team