Re: NVMe SSD's

Author: Michael Butash
To: nengland, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: NVMe SSD's
I've been doing so for probably a good 7-8 years now in various
capacities with single disk or raid, but been doing raid usually
choosing even laptops with dual drive capabilities for the past 5-6 years.

Most ssd's have died within a year, but usually only one. My desktop
with Crucial C100's tossed the disk after 6 months, and I've been
running the other without a net for a year and a half since without a
problem. It's still in the mdraid, but with no peer, and take power
hits and crashes (yay plasma!) commonly without issue in recovery.

My exception has been my last laptop, a little dell e7240 with dual
msata slots I used Samsung Evo 940 512gb disks in. They've been both 2
years as a champ, recovering every time a resync has been needed after a
power loss without issue or degradation. Definitely going Samsung again
next time, everything else has sucked, including Adata, Crucial, and
others I've forgotten.

My links are all pretty old, I've been using this recipe for a bit, only
last deviation was figuring out how to do it with EFI of my crappy asus
laptop work gave me for a bit to use. I think I've posted my recipe for
it here before if you search me in archives, I can again if interested.

I have a dell precision desktop coming that is basically a poweredge
server with dual xeons I can pack with ram, so it better darn well
present me a legacy bios to boot linux with my usual formula. Just
wondering since i have to get ssd's again for it if I should go with
NVMe's. If I wait a few weeks, the new Samsung 960's should be out too
- enough time to figure out figure out xen on it natively for desktop
use (another long story).

-mb