Re: cox vs centurylink

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: cox vs centurylink

Cox support is by far the worst part of
      using their service.  I have an outage about every 3-4 years due
      to the sun baking my coax outside, which is somewhat normal, and
      every time I call it has gotten worse and worse.  Usually I just
      mention something about ICOMS, mocking their horrible/garbage 40
      year old green-screen internal crm everyone hates using still, and
      they get more friendly/helpful.

      Last time I called a few months ago about getting a second IP, it
      took four calls, the first talking to the person there I didn't
      think could spell IP, and had about the worst drawl you could
      imagine from Deliverance, neither providing help or coherency.
      After 3 more calls of less utterly stupid, more helpful, but still
      mostly useless, I got a real engineer that clearly told me "no,
      you can't get a second IP unless you buy business or our
      'ultimate' package".  He was the only person that understood what
      a "second static ip" was and I had to go about 3 levels up.

      I called a buddy that works there, they shifted all support to the
      southeast (their corp is in Atlanta), where apparently the average
      iq drops to a quarter of anywhere else.  I complained on the site
      I was so angry, and actually got a call from corporate where the
      guy was very nice, but all but admitted they hire the dregs for
      support.  Where else do you find people to work for minimum wage?

      Sad considering I remember using, and even went to work for @home
      that did the cable side for Cox back in '98 when they actually
      hired technically competent people to support a technical
      service.  Even they got worse at the end hiring anyone with a
      pulse before Cox, ATT, and Comcast put forks in them to DIY.

      -mb