Re: extra space

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: extra space
On 2014-07-11 05:05, kitepilot wrote:
> Michael Havens writes:
>> The data on my root partition only is about 8 gig. The partition in
>> total
>> is 48 gig. Can anyone say wasted space?
> Can anybody ask: Why does Michael need a 'boot' partition to begin
> with?

If you're going to have more than 1 distro on a machine, having a boot
partition is a good idea as it simplifies bootloader configuration.

> (my opinion follows, we all know the global opinion about opinions)

Yes, these are my opinions and most of them can't really be objectively
proven or tested.

> Other partitions for specific directories (/tmp /var/log) are mostly
> predicated on guarding the machine against inadvertent 'filesystem
> fill up'

This is true. Having / or /var fill up tends to cause problems even on
a single-user workstation though.

> Point is: why does Michael (or someone like 'Michael') need several
> specific directories isolated on specific partitions?
> Answer? He doesn't... YMMV.

Having one partition is the simplest thing to do, and means you don't
have to worry about making /usr or /var large enough.[0] I do this if
there's only 1 disk and only 1 distro on the machine.

On my desktop, there's 1 SSD and 2 spinny-disks in softRAID-1. SSD has
4 partitions: EFI boot, /boot, / , and an empty partition where / will
go in case I want to try something other than Gentoo. Spinny-disks have
3 partitions: backup / in case the SSD fails[1], swap, and an LVM
partition. LVM partition contains LVs for /var , /home , and
/usr/portage , and there's still about 400G for those LVs to become
larger or to create new LVs. (LVM is more flexible than partitions, and
allows you to get around the 15-partition limit, but only Linux can
handle it.)

[0] Having /usr be separate from / is more difficult than it used to
be, though.
[1] Hey, it could happen!

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress