Re: OT: NSA story keeps getting bigger...

Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: NSA story keeps getting bigger...
This really isn't anything new or surprising if you work at or around
isp's - providers have been giving raw optical tap data from internet
peering to government sniffers the likes of Procera Networks and various
others for most of the last decade for ready harvesting on a whim. This
amounts to a snapshot of mostly "everything" that crosses their edge to
peering, which is 99% of our traffic they transport.

Companies like Verizon, Sprint, and ATT monetize and charge the
government for data dips of your traffic even as a profit center as an
'admin" charge. Convenient arrangement, and you pay them for the
privilege of carrying your data to be sold.

The only difference between China and US is we allow the traffic through
by default and monitor everything vs China denying explicitly everything
and allowing only specific protocols + monitoring everything. At least
they don't hide it under the guise of "freedom" as our gov does.

-mb