Re: Looking for Streaming Media Software Recommendations

Author: Eric Shubert
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Looking for Streaming Media Software Recommendations
FWIW, I'm running a Zbox (zotac, atom) with mythbuntu as a frontend to a
1080p TV via hdmi. I expect that the model with the amd fusion cpu would
do just as we, if not slightly better from what I've read. You can get a
MB (mini or micro) with the fusion CPU on it for less than $100 if you
hunt around (I got a mini MSI board with Fusion for $65 after rebate).
Ram is relatively cheap for these as well. FWIW, I even run mine off an
8G flash drive. Works like a champ. I also have a MythTV backend (also
mythbuntu) I built with an old P4, 512M, 2x300G drives for storage, and
2 tuner cards. This runs off a 4G flash drive. You really don't need
much horsepower on a backend. Transcoding and commercial flagging do
take a bit of cpu, but if you're not in a hurry for it, who cares? The
P4 just cranks it out a little slower, but this doesn't affect feeding
the front ends. (I also have installed a mythtv frontend on my deskbook).

Good stuff.

--
-Eric 'shubes'