Re: Looking for Streaming Media Software Recommendations

Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Looking for Streaming Media Software Recommendations
I've tried dnla-based stuff with my xbox360 for tv, but found it was
more hassle than it was worth as m$ doesn't support decent codecs for
playback anyways. Can your tv actually dnla high-res media? For me if
not, it's kind of a why-bother.

With the 360 being useless for high-def playback, I built an ubuntu
"media pc" with an hdmi nvidia card, xbmc, and never looked back. Until
it died at least.

I got a boxee box, and that could do netflix, 1080p mkv playback,
cifs/nfs, and just about everything in between, and was pretty decent.
At least until an update a week ago bricked it. grr.

Sadly I don't think hardware vendors "get it" to make actual playback
function openly supporting varieties of codecs, but dnla was a start.

What kind of tv is yours?

More interesting is they're hacking the "smart" tv's now, though not
sure if their hardware would actually support decent playback of
anything but codecs cut off at the knees to protect media cartels and
not anger them. Having root hopefully takes back control of what
amounts to a lightweight linux box on just about every modern smart tv,
just add xbmc and some hardware gpu offloading. I would ass-u-me they
have some level of hardware decode on them, so let the games begin.

http://hackaday.com/2012/06/20/getting-root-on-a-sony-tv/
http://www.samygo.tv/

Sadly I bought an lcd the year before smart tv's became the rage, so I'm
stuck with external hardware via hdmi. Now if i could find one that
didn't die/suck.

-mb