Re: Killing PLUG softly

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Killing PLUG softly

I've been a member of several tech lists for over 10 years.  Each have the same discussions about some off topic subject matter.

I tend to believe we are a community.  I belong to a Christian community and we talk about other things.  This is a group that meets weekly, in person.  We do not just talk about Jesus.  Jesus is our focus however we tend to talk about everything.  There are opposing parties, to the extreme sometimes.  However for some reason we do not try to censor, for the most part, and we still continue to meet.  I would say that unlike this group our core values are inline with the group at large.

What keeps us here is technology.  Some would say Linux.  Okay maybe that is the core.  However I've asked windows questions, programming questions, and data questions.  Occasionally there is a question about TV's and other very off topic questions.

I think recently I asked about digital camcorders.

For the most part the list is tame and no one gets upset.  That is true of the other two lists I belong to.

Is there a lack of social skills that cause us to go off topic?  I think not.  We do not live in a vacuum.

I'm not sure we would ever have a sterile list.  One of the lists I belong to has meet several times to become organized and each time the consensus was the list does not want any rules, period.

I think each of us is attracted to Linux for the same reason.  We are a counter culture, at least that was true 10 years ago.

I've enjoyed this list for maybe 10 years.  I appreciate the people on this list that have great skills and knowledge and are willing to share some of that with me.

I believe this list will survive and if anything will become stronger.  Even though I disagree with some of you, politically, I admire your skill set and your willingness to help others.

This thread has taken on a life of it's own as well.  I think we, for the most part, will see off topic discussions laces with threats to leave the list, and resistance to those who want to kill any off topic discussion.  I believe that is the nature of the list serve community.

Keith Smith