Re: [Article] Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive…

+ (text/html)
Author: Joe Fleming
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [Article] Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive" traffic

I only use Cox for the net, and I have to say,
coming from the Chicago area and dealing with Comcast, Cox is
exponentially better. It's great being able to use bittorrent again and
actually download things over HTTP at speeds worth paying $50-60/mo
for. You guys bitch a lot about Cox, and I can understand why to a
point, but it's been a breath of fresh air ditching Crapcast for them,
that's for sure!

If they implement the throttling like they say and only affect things
during "congestion" (whatever that means), this won't be that big of a
deal. If they slow down instead of prevent the traffic, and only during
those times, even better. If they do blanket filtering (not throttling)
like Comcast does (I would say did, but don't believe the news, they
still do) for all hours of the day, it'll leave their service just
about as unusable as Comcast is. It's a shame that Qwest is so far
behind with the speeds...... if Cox decides to screw their customers
like Comcast has, we'll have no recourse (just like Comcast customers
don't have). U-Verse and FiOS are pretty cool, but we have neither
around these parts. These government
mandated monopolies are killing us. Sure would be nice if there was
some real competition in the ISP market.

I'm not going to say that this is an outrage or that they absolutely
will block everything because they may not. It's probably unlikely, but
until we see it in action, we can't really speak to the performance.

-Joe

Tuna wrote:

Sharkscott wrote:

Its all about control, always has been. Its not like they can't, or
don't already. They decide when they want too, and what they will throttle.

Control..that's all.

It is *their* network. I hate depending on them, though. I have very few
good things to say about Cox. Everything from their annoying commercials
to their absolutely horrible service, and now this makes a DIY
self-lobotomy kit seem more attractive then anything they have ever
offered for a monthly price.