Re: OT: I'm 95% Linux, but need a little win.xp help

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: I'm 95% Linux, but need a little win.xp help
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:38 -0600, Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> While I use Linux for 95% of my work, I still have to use
> win.xp for a few things and sure would like to find someone
> (or someplace like PLUG) where I could submit questions that
> come up from time.
>
> M$ is terribly frustrating, and I wish I could discard it
> entirely; but I'm stuck with having to use it for some things.

----
OK
----

> The M$ file and directory structure seems very lame and confusing.

----
It's reasonable...all things considered
----

> Is there any way to eliminate that ridiculous "My" in several
> folder names? "My Computer" "My Documents" "My Pictures" etc.
>
> Can one just rename all those folders to eliminate "My" ...
> and eliminate spaces in *all* file and folder/directory names?

----
that would be a bad idea - pissing into the wind tends to get your shoes
wet.
----

> And why does "My Documents" show up in more than one place?

----
because Microsoft thinks that making it ubiquitous makes it easier for
users to find their documents. There is however, only 1 'My Documents'
for each user and that is aliased (Microsoft terminology is 'shortcut')
to various places.

There are a lot of things that Windows makes problematic but I don't
think you are talking about them here...moreover, this is a Linux list.

Craig