Installed Ubuntu 8.04

Author: Clayton Stapleton
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Installed Ubuntu 8.04
Installed Ubuntu 8.04 a week ago Wed. It was installed on a USB 500 G drive. After the install and the system restarted the startup hung with “Grub Loading Stage 1.5
Grub loading – Please wait
ERROR 21”
To get the system working again I had to press the Restart button on the computer. Then it went into a normal startup. I HATE GRUB!!
Whenever I start the computer from a cold start it goes into a normal startup. When I do a restart it hangs as above and I have to press the restart button,
Otherwise things function as expected.
Is there a simple way to get Grub operating properly?

Clay Stapleton