Re: Anti-virus for Linux - is it time? Will it ever be?

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Anti-virus for Linux - is it time? Will it ever be?

On Mar 7, 2008, at 9:40 PM, JT Moree wrote:

> Chris Gehlker wrote:
>>> I don't run anti-virus on windows or linux because I'm very careful
>>> about what services and code I run and keeping up to date on
>>> patches.
>>
>> This attitude is fine for a personal system but I don't know anyone
>> running a public facing commercial server with any form of *nix who
>> is
>> not running ClamAV.
>
> Actually, at my small company (of 3 employees) we used Linux on our
> desktops. The only reason we installed clamav or any other av tools
> on
> our 'public facing' EMAIL server was to experiment with it.
>
> That said, I DO recommend running AV software for everyone else I
> know.
>
> My point was that AV software deals with a symptom--not a root
> problem.
> . . . and here I would repeat my last email which expounds on this.
> Please go back and read it if you missed my point the first time
> around. ;)

I got your point and I fundamentally agree. In fact, I don't have any
anti-virus software either and I have no problems. My point was that
*for most people* anti-virus software is better than nothing. I have
seen small businesses and non-profits brought to their knees because
of a combination running Windows/IE/Outlook and poor practices on the
part of their members.

Your previous post made me smile:

> From: JT Moree <>
> Date: March 6, 2008 8:59:08 PM GMT-07:00
> To: Main PLUG discussion list <>
> Subject: Re: Anti-virus for Linux - is it time? Will it ever be?

> Anti-virus is ineffective. It deals with a symptom while ignoring the
> real problem. That is: attack vectors on a system.

[snip]

> believed to be clean.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who
could not hear the music.
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900)