Re: Setting up encrypted Laptop

+ (text/html)
Author: Erich Newell
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Setting up encrypted Laptop
You may want to also consider the use of an openpgp card for creation and
storage of crypto keys.

With regard to the filesystem encryption: It depends.

There are non-trivial trade-offs with regard to overhead and data integrity
when considering these options on a laptop. Power failures or other sudden
shutdowns of the system can be problematic. These situations are far more
common on a laptop environment where the system tends to be booted often,
run a wider array of userland software and has a decidedly wider task arena.

Food for thought.

- Erich

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Richard Wilson <> wrote:

> All,
>
> I am setting up my laptop to be as encrypted as possible, and I'm
> leaning towards using LUKS partitions to do the work. Is it possible to
> only have an unencrypted /boot and have everything else encrypted? From
> what I found on the 'net so far, that may not be possible.
>
> I have experimented with Truecrypt as well and that is a decent
> alternative. Any opinions as to which is "better"?
>
> Any full disk encryption tools out there that are Linux compatible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard Wilson
> relw at mchsi dot com

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes about
finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes through life."