Re: Internet woes

Author: Robert N. Eaton
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Internet woes
Robert N. Eaton wrote:

> No luck accessing the filter (as above)so I tried to disable ipv6
> another way using a sledge hammer, rather than a rapier.
>
> I believe ipv6 is controlled by
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/init.ipv6-global.
>
> This file states that it is called up by hooks in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
>
> So, I entered /etc/rc.d/init.d directory, su'd to root and did:
>
> touch xxnetwork
>
> and
>
> mv network xxnetwork and said yes to the overwrite.
>
> Then I rebooted and opened FireFox and tried to access some of my
> favorite sites. Nothing worked. FF didn't even try.
>
> So I went back and mv'd things back to the way they were.
>
> FF kind of opened userfriendly.org, halfway opened slashdot and kbaq,
> but choked entirely on google and bankofamerica.com.

Found a rapier this a.m. Administration->Network Configuration->devices
tab->Select->eth0->Edit->Enable IPv6 configuration for this interface On/Off

Neither On nor Off made a bit of difference in how FF or other browsers
accessed the net.

I'm forced to conclude that IPv6 isn't the culprit. So. Three days
wasted on the wrong track :-\. Further research is indicated.

Bob Eaton