Re: Internet woes

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: chip33az, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: Internet woes
On 6/25/07, Robert N. Eaton <> wrote:

> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know if this will help you, but with the machine running, open
> >> a terminal window, go to root mode and cat
> >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling. If it is set to 1, change it
> >> to 0 with echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling. Close FF
> >> and try again.
> >>
> Tried this: no help.
>
> >> The difference was night and day for me.
> >>
> >> There are a few work arounds, but if this works and you want a
> >> permanent solution, add "net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0" to
> >> /etc/sysctl.conf.
> >>
> Used vim to add this: no help.
>
> DX <> wrote:
>
> I had a similar problem with ubuntu a while ago. It turned out that it
> was because FF was using IPv6 when it attempted to connect. The way I
> solved it was by typing "about:config" on the FF address var and looking
> for the IPv6 option and disabling it (type ipv on the filter and you
> will find it really fast).
>
> Sorry DX, I'm not following you on this. How/where do you access this?
>
> FF (Firefox?) address var ???
>
> I appreciate the help, even though I don't seem to be making headway.
>
> Bob Eaton

> FF (Firefox?) address var ???

he probably means the Firefox address bar;
(b and v are near each other on a keyboard -- likely typo;
and they also are near each other in some speech
space of consonants - that a linguistic expert, or
speech therapist, could comment on...)
The Firefox address bar is where you end up when
you do a File / "Open Location" (or Ctrl-L) in FireFox.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ