Re: Tape Backup

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Tape Backup
While it's great that CD's and DVD's make a good backup for a small
company, what I was referring to was relevance of tape.

I honestly like tape when I'm dealing with a dizzying amount of data
on multiple servers. Nothing quite like a jukebox full of tapes just
shuffling between themselves, with the archive application keeping
catalogs for you to search through.

But yes, you can store stuff on harddisk, and backup to CD, and you
can also ship a harddisk offsite.

Personally I like the idea of having a growable array of discs and
just adding to the array and using an app such as RVM (which I use for
my remote sites) for archive management. I had something like that
planned out, with a remotely managed hot spare in case the system
crashed but it was nixed by management. They needed to be able to
tell shareholders that everything is backed up industry standard to
tape for data assuredness.

On 4/23/07, Darrin Chandler <> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 09:36:26PM -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> > Where I work we have to keep data indefinitely for 7-10 years, so
> > tapes are a necessity.
>
> Tapes *may* be needed, due to other constraints, but they still suck. I
> avoid tapes whenever I can. Where I work I have partitioned the
> historical data into manageable chunks which I store online, on other
> computers, and burn to CD/DVD. I burn two sets of CDs, with one kept on
> site and another kept off site.
>
> For our situation this is a more robust solution than tapes. Any machine
> with a CD/DVD drive will get us our data back.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
>    |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte