Re: Why we are all here (was Re: audio cd)

Author: Technomage
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Why we are all here (was Re: audio cd)
well,
from someone who was actually there at the forming of the current "plyg"
organization, I have a couple of reminders as to why we formed it...

1. plug was more than just a small group of people who felt that it was a
better alternative to windows. it was meant to also foster and cultivate
growth in the FOSS community as a whole

2. most of the 'senior' members of the founding 'steering committee' were also
professionals (such as administrators) who also wished to teach new users the
value of alternatives to the 'microsoft model'.

In these point, we have succeeded far in excess of what was originally
imagined back in 1198 when the steering committee was initially formed that
later became plug.

one additional lesson to be gained from all this was that we needed to adapt
and change in order to succeed in a world dominated by M$. in that we have
also succeeded. Now, we need to move forward, to make new changes and to
adapt new methods and get out of this box we find ourselves in. This will
require more radical 'out of the box' thinking on the part of our younger
members. in any case, as an 'old man' of the organization, I welcome new
ideas. besides, what are us old greybeards supposed to do anyway? :)

TMH

p. I am also one of the longest running lurkers on here. :)