Re: kernel 2.4.34

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: kernel 2.4.34
I haven't viewed that page due to the fact that I read this and wanted
to respond real quick before going off to do other things... however,
the grub part isn't too much different.

This is from Redhat 8.0:
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-28.8)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-28.8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-28.8.img

You would change "root (hd0,0)" to whatever your root partition is.
The first 0 reflects which harddrive it is (0 = C or HDA, 1 = D or
HDB, etc), and the second 0 reflects which partition on the drive it
is. (0 = hdX1, 1 = hdX2, etc)
Then, change kernel to reflect where under /boot the kernel is. (you
will have to put the kernel there) My kernel line usually looks like
"kernel /vmlinuz-<version> root=/dev/hda2".
Initrd I never use, but that's me.

It sounds like your using debian, so this will definitely be right up
your alley: http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

If your interested in how to do it in Fedora, SuSE, Mandr{ake|iva},
CentOS, or Ubuntu, they have links at the bottom for those, also.
(wow, did I use enough commas?)

On 1/9/07, Michael Havens <> wrote:
> Well, upon hearing the information that my old computer shouldn't be running
> the 2.6 kernel (a couple of weeks ago) I finaly got around to seeing how to
> install a new kernel.
>
> I found a page that makes it seem simple but I don't know if the author is
> crazy or evil or what so OI need to ask you guys.
>
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/skykernel.html
>
> It is geared towards lilo and currently the bootloader is grub..... I would
> like a suggestion as to what you think I should do to get around this. I mean
> I don't have lilo unless perhaps I should apt-get it.Please offer me some3
> suggestions!

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte