Re: Yes.... Mepis was it:

Author: Scott
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Yes.... Mepis was it:
wrote:
> Sorry about the typo. The reason I want to go with genuine Debian is apt-get is very good (well, it is all that I know) and with 'real' debian I don't have to worry about needing a 'special' repository. I mean, last I knew Mepis and Ubuntu had to use these 'special' repositories or things didn't work right.

It's not as complex as you make it out to be. :-)

For example (a la sources.list files)...

Debian:

deb http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/debian sarge main contrib non-free

Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu:

deb http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/ubuntu edgy main restricted
universe multiverse

the end result is the overwheming majority of packages you'd want can be
had with either Debian or Ubuntu. The big difference being you'd need
to be using Debian testing or unstable to get the newer packages that
are in the most recent flavor of
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu.

I prefer Ubuntu mostly because it's current (stable) distro has newer
software than Debian Sarge and it's more stable than Etch or Sid.

Not to mention Ubuntu is simply more "polished".

I've got more reasons but those will do for now, :-)

--
    Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com