Re: Domain search without squating?

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Domain search without squating?
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:33:15PM -0700, keith smith wrote:
> I worked for Godaddy and we were told if we registered a domain that a customer had told us about we would be fired.
>
> I have not experienced what you have spoke of. I've registered a lot of domains w/o issue.
>
> For example I repeatedly debated registering burritoman.com because I just liked the name. During a 4 or 5 or 6 month period a ran a check on the Godaddy site to see if it was registered. I finally decided to register it and some had gotten it. My point is I ran maybe 10 checks over a 4 month period and later I found it had been registered just weeks before I made the decision to register it.
>
> Go to the GoDaddy or Wild West Domains reseller website and run a check.
>
> If you want the domain register it.
>
> Keith

Years ago I tried doing whois through a website and the crooks
registered it on the spot and then offered to sell it to me for a huge
markup. Bastards. This wasn't one of the big registrars. They didn't
even bill themselves as a registrar, just as a whois service. Some
service! Before and since then I just stick to the cmd line whois.

I've never had trouble registering domains through either GoDaddy or
NetSol. If it's available they'll register it for you. That's their
bread and butter. And they'll offer to register the same name in other
TLDs when available.

If you want other TLDs, you'd better get them then and there. That
you've registered a domain is NOT a secret known only to you and your
registrar. And you've shown more than slight interest: you're willing to
pay for a domain, and you have a stake in that name already.

The only trouble I've had with GoDaddy was with a recently expired
domain (someone else's) that I wanted to register. It had been sitting
expired for weeks, but was still within the "holding" period where the
previous owner could still renew. I placed a "backorder" with GoDaddy
and within minutes the domain had been transfered to Wild West Domains
and then put up for auction. Now this *could* have been a coincidence.

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |