Re: Domain search without squating?

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Domain search without squating?
I worked for Godaddy and we were told if we registered a domain that a customer had told us about we would be fired.

I have not experienced what you have spoke of. I've registered a lot of domains w/o issue.

For example I repeatedly debated registering burritoman.com because I just liked the name. During a 4 or 5 or 6 month period a ran a check on the Godaddy site to see if it was registered. I finally decided to register it and some had gotten it. My point is I ran maybe 10 checks over a 4 month period and later I found it had been registered just weeks before I made the decision to register it.

Go to the GoDaddy or Wild West Domains reseller website and run a check.

If you want the domain register it.

Keith

Alan Dayley <> wrote: I am thinking of registering a few domain names. I was going to do a
search for availability but am reluctant to do so. It appears that it
is not uncommon for search sites, or someone in the search chain, to
snap up names people have been looking at and registering them to sell
them at a higher price.

I know 3 people to whom this has happened and 1 other who registered a
.org and went back the next day to get .com and .net but found them
registered since just the previous day!

I'm certain many on this list have more experience than I with searching
out domain names. How do you handle the searching issue? What sites
are considered "safe" to use for searches?

Alan

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html