Re: New Boxen

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: New Boxen
augie wrote:

> My question is how do I move my /home from the old boxen to the new one?
> I've installed the OS on the new one. Do I just hook up the old hd to the new
> one as slave and dd the /home partition using a live cd? If anybody can
> provide the correct (in detail) processes, I'd be forever indebted.

using dd requires that your partitions are exactly the same size. It is
probably better to simply copy the data.

mount /dev/hdYY /target
mount /dev/hdXX /home

cp -a /home/* /target/

the -a is the archive option which is a shortcut for recursive,
permissions, and a few other options which will retain those attributes.

Also with this method the filesystem can be different. so you can
migrate from ext2 to reiserfs or whatever.

You can also use tar but in this case there is probably no advantage to
doing so

mount /dev/hdYY /target
mount /dev/hdXX /home
cd /home/