Re: VPS - SendMail Config

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: VPS - SendMail Config
Craig White wrote:
> I understand DJB's philosophy.
>
> I believe that it undermines the philosophy of the Free Software license
> and the movement itself and that is where my objection comes in. Free
> Software not only allows modification to the source code itself, but
> also permits recycling of the source code in other similarly/compatibly
> licensed software and has a useful life beyond the original authors and
> it's restrictive license. I believe the distinction of 'free' is very
> much evident in DJB software.

I agree. DJB's license is a PITA, and doesn't allow the software to
'grow' in a healthy (normal, free) fashion. From what I've read of his
writings, I believe that his ego has gotten in the way of progress.

> DJB's software is 'as is' and cannot be distributed except as is and you
> have to patch away afterwards.
>
> Ultimately, I don't understand the notion of using a package management
> distribution and then going off package management for large,
> significant portions. That seems nonsensical to me. I think it's far
> worse to suggest that concept to someone groping with an installation
> which in essence would then deprive them of the normal support channels
> of the distribution that they are using.

It's good to be consistent, but sometimes there are values that outweigh
consistency.

In the long run, I expect that qmail will die. I suppose one might liken
it to a railroad.

--
-Eric 'shubes'