Re: FC4 Random reboot

Author: Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: FC4 Random reboot
Checked syslog but their was nothing unusual... That is when I decided to
request help... but then tracked down the problem to the 12 year old monitor
(sitting rite next to the box) that was creating enough of a field to actually
trip the reset switch... (Even lit up a small florescent tube... not that
that is hard to do… Nor does it prove anything… But it is a fun party trick :)

But sure enough, when the monitor is on for a while the computer reboots, if I
leave it on long enough it reboots more and more frequently (Had it up to
~20min between reboots when I could not figure out what the problem was...
This was after the monitor had been on for 6 hours). When the monitor is off,
their is no problem.

The solution, turn the monitor off and hunt down some command line sys
monitoring tools to run on my workstation from across the room... (Over SSH)

In particular I am looking for something that will monitor active users and
the files they are accessing, and something to monitor memory, CPU, and disk
usage. Something that monitored network traffic would be nice too... I
suppose I could use eXoduses (Which I get for being part of ASU), but I am not
sure if the ASU license would extend to personal (non ASU) use. Yes, to me it
does mater, I am a big fan legal software… or at lest close I like to be as
close to legal as I can be ;)