Re: FC4 Random reboot

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: FC4 Random reboot
wrote:
> I have an FC4 box running on a socket 7 K6/400 that I am using as a file server
> (SFTP) However, today it just started rebooting for no reason. It does not
> panic, it does not lock up, it just reboots; as if some one hit the reset
> switch. It is not overheating and has not done this before, despite several
> weeks of 24/7 power. Currently the only two remote users are login into the
> system on our local net using SSH and SFTP (The SFTP is through FileZilla BTW)
>
> Any thoughts on how to trace down the problem?
>

> The box is externally visible, but it is wholly updated and the firewall is set
> to only allow SSH through.

- - Check power problems. Outlet loose. Old UPS. New equipment on the
same circuit. Fridge turning on and off. Etc.

- - Does it happen at the same time every day? Check the logs of a time
pattern.

- - Are people passing it or touching it? One place I worked had an issue
when someone started using the same room it was in. They would bump
their desk and glitch the power outlet.

- - I have a computer at work that reboots itself 75% of the time when I
remove a USB device. I have even been very careful and only touched the
device when removing it.

- - Re seat all the power connections in the computer.

- - Boot a rescue CD and run memtest.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Alan