Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Author: Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News
Just my 2 cents, but
1)    Leaving it unsecured is like leaving your doors open, you do not
except random people to come.
2)    Giving out DHCP requests is just the same as inviting them in (DHCP
Client> “Dear DHCP server, may I have access to your network?”  DHCP Server> I
have no restrictions, so of course you can!  Here take these keys and do what
you need to”)
3)    Using someone’s internet is not like taking property, it is more like
walking in and using their phone…  Correspondingly doing illegal things on
their internet connection is the same as using their phone to call you bookie,
plan a drug deal, phone your hitman, or just phreaking the phone network, etc.

But without a good layer his inevitable failure to win in court goes down as
president and we all suffer.