Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Author: Jared Anderson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News
So, if I was watering my lawn (if I had one), and the water was sprinkling onto the
public sidewalks and streets, can I press charges against overheated pedestrians who
*steal* my water to cool off?

Can I stand on the edge of my property with a bullhorn, perform stand-up
comedy, and press charges against those who stop to listen.

Can the organizers of the various 4th of July events, drive around town asking people
if they watched the fireworks without paying, and then charge those who didn't?

The silly questions can go on and on, but the answer is the same: if you don't want
people to use your stuff, then don't broadcast it to the public and invite them to
use it.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:56:15 -0400, writes:

>"Your door is wide open, you're broadcasting invitations, you give me your
>address, you give me directions, you authorize me to enter, and you give me a lease

(which can be renewed or may never expire)."

>YOU FOLKS SEEM TO BE FORGETTING ABOUT INTENT! If I do not intend for anyone to use

my hookup to the net then regardless of others observations, whatever they may be, it
is theft of services and use of hardware that I have paid for.

>Lynn
>

>>On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:54:47 -0700, Alex Dean writes:
>>> Still, though, even if I leave my front door wide open, that doesn't
>>> give you the right to come in and make some calls on my phone...
>>
>>Apples to oranges - I don't agree with this analogy.
>>
>>Your door is wide open - this does not permit me to enter.
>>
>>Your door is wide open AND you are broadcasting invitations - this
>>permits me to enter.
>>
>>The more accurate analogy:
>>Your door is wide open, you're broadcasting invitations, you give me your
>>address, you give me directions, you authorize me to enter, and you give me a lease
>>(which can be renewed or may never expire).

>Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
>As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register
>
>Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
>
>New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer
>Search from anywhere on the Web and block those annoying pop-ups.
>Download now at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

my$.02