Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Author: stu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News
On Thursday 07 July 2005 16:54, Alex Dean wrote:
> Jared Anderson wrote:
> >Even better - the networks without any security AND DHCP. This is a far
> > cry from *unauthorized access*, a third degree felony - it is literally
> > an invitation.
> >
> >The article fails to mention if the guy 'hacked' into this dude's network
> > or was granted access
>
> Considering the default settings on most wireless routers, I doubt it
> was 'hacked' in the sense of 'broken into nefariously'. I bet $10 that
> it was offering connections to anyone who came within range.
>
> Still, though, even if I leave my front door wide open, that doesn't
> give you the right to come in and make some calls on my phone...
>
> alex

    For these reasons, I don't use wireless myself, but my son has a laptop with
built-in wireless. He can sit on my sofa, and log onto a neighbors unsecured
wireless from my coffeetable...The question is, whom is invading whom here?
Can I hold my neighbor responsible for broadcasting his wireless into my
home?  That's probably a silly question, but running an open wireless
connection is as foolish and irresponsile as leaving you car unlocked and
running while you zip into Circle K for a pack of cigs.
    Stu