Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Author: Prescott Oelke
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News
On 7/7/05, <> wrote:

> "Your door is wide open, you're broadcasting invitations, you give me your
> address, you give me directions, you authorize me to enter, and you give me a lease (which can be renewed or may never expire)."
>
> YOU FOLKS SEEM TO BE FORGETTING ABOUT INTENT! If I do not intend for anyone to use my hookup to the net then regardless of others observations, whatever they may be, it is theft of services and use of hardware that I have paid for.
>
> Lynn

I could argue that the very fact that your unsecured signal was
brodcasting into a public place (or through the walls of my house)
constitutes your intent for me to use it. Don't want me to use it? Put
up some "keep out" and "no tresspassing" signs (even WEP or WPA would
be enough to prove your true intent) or don't broadcast a public
signal into my backyard.