Re: OT : Network setup advice?

Author: Alex Dean
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT : Network setup advice?
Ben Browning wrote:

>Alex Dean wrote:
>

>>Jared Anderson wrote:
>>
>>How do I recognize a crossover port? The ports on my current router are
>>WAN,1,2,3,4.
>>

>None of those are crossovers.
>
>Crossover will usually be labeled as "Uplink" or a funny X symbol.

Sorry to keep asking minute questions. Seems like getting any of these
details wrong results in a 'broken' network with no way (in my meager
skillset) to diagnose what's wrong.

    * If I have a switch with an 'Uplink' port, and I'm hooking it to
      one of the numbered port on my router, I'd use a crossover?
    * What about my original question : If I have add a second router,
      but I really only want it to function as a switch, will that work?

Any website/book recommendations for someone who wants to learn more
about setting up networks?

thanks again,
alex