Re: plug] OT: PXE explaination

Author: R P Herrold
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: plug] OT: PXE explaination
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Erik Bixby wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good explaination of how PXE works?
> Specifically, I need to know what's supposed to be happening on the
> wire. We've been having a recurring issue with it, and I would like
> to be able to either prove or disprove that the network itself is at
> issue.

I have logfile traces of PXE and TFTP items at:
    http://www.owlriver.com/tips/tftp-xinetd/

That said, for the last few years, as manageable switches have
appeared on the market, the problem is almos always that the
STP - spanning tree protocol -- can take longer to onverge
than the PXE client is willing to wait. Getting all relevant
switches set into the 'Fast' mode can be ... chaallenging.

Test in a testbed subnet with a crossover of a hub, and you
may quickly localize your problem.

- Russ Herrold