Re: OT: PXE explaination

Author: Kevin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: PXE explaination
On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 09:39 -0700, Erik Bixby wrote:
> I want to know enough about how PXE is
> supposed to work to be able to watch a machine boot with Ethereal, and
> see where the problem is.

Gotcha. Well, on the wire there is no PXE magic. The only thing on the
network is a normal DHCP transaction (with an additional scope option
for the "next-server") followed by an immediate TFTP download from the
TFTP server (next-server) to the PXE client. After that, you might see
some additional NFS traffic if the PXE image specifies a remote
filesystem.

If you don't see any DHCP or TFTP errors in your sniffer capture, you
can clear the network. One thing to note is that a firewall between the
TFTP server and PXE client would require a sniffer capture on both sides
of the firewall to catch anything the firewall might be blocking.

There is nothing else to watch for on the wire. There is no PXE
protocols or anything like that. It's all standard networking
protocols.

...Kevin