Re: OT Where to find the fastest news website?

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT Where to find the fastest news website?
On Saturday 25 June 2005 07:22 pm, Josef Lowder kindly wrote:
> Where do y'all look for news on the web?
>
> I generally scan the headlines at usatoday.com, and it provides
> a pretty good overview, but everybody seems to be so enamored
> with pretty graphics that web pages take way too long to resolve
> for dial-up users (and most news websites seem to be in varying
> degrees of radical, liberal, left-wing extremist for me).
>
> So, I'm looking for some alternate news sites to check out.
>
> Suggestions?

www.DrudgeReport.com loads fast and has a long list of links to wire
services, newspapers and other news outlets. You can try a bunch of
them from there and see what you like. Drudge is anything but radical
left-wing. And he has a sanity-saving link to Dave Barry ;-)

I'm on dialup and here's what I use to surf faster:

In Konqueror and Opera I can turn graphics off. Konqueror also lets me
block animations if I choose to keep graphics turned on. Opera has an
easy toggle switch for graphics, right by the address bar. It's
easier to use than Konqueror's. And there's always the Links browser.
If you have it, open a shell and type "links" w/out the quotes.

You can also go to:

http://remember.mine.nu/

and download a hosts file for a workstation. They come as zipped or
text files. Open the file, copy and paste it into /etc/hosts. It'll
block out at least 95% of the ads. If you find it's blocking
something you want, you can comment out the corresponding line in the
hosts file.

Except for not liking to do long downloads, I can usually surf fast
enough with my $8.25/mth dialup account that I see no need for
broadband. Which is good, since I can't get it where I live.

HTH,
Siri Amrit